using hair elastics - mini tutorial

February 25, 2013

I was making the list takers last week and wanted to use hair elastics as closures instead of ribbon.  I've always found them very convenient as closures but kind of a pain in the bum to sew onto items.  People usually say to sew the center together so that the elastic won't keep popping open but it's just a little tedious.  So, I thought why not just tape it down!

Ok, so this hardly warrants a tutorial but I thought some of you might find it useful.  If this is a widely used technique and I am just really behind the times then, sorry.  Well here is my little tip.

Have a piece of regular old scotch tape cut and ready!  Figure out where you want to place your elastic and pinch the middle so that the two pieces are touching and just place the tape over the elastic and the fabric.  That's it, so easy but so useful!


Then just sew whatever you are making!!  Then when I flipped my list taker at the end, I just peeled the exposed tape away from the seam.  It gets perforated when you sew through it and tears away really easily!




4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip, I have always veereda way from elastic loops but now a solution! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love hair elastics and..use them for purse closures. LOVE your project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genius! What a clever idea for holding that elastic in place. I just did crayon rolls yesterday and struggled with keeping that elastic together. I'm going to try this next time. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tip! anything to make sewing easier is appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! They make my day! Please make sure to leave me your email in your comment if it is not attached to your blogger profile, that way I can reply! Thanks so much :)

lots of pink here! All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger