the Sophia beach bag

May 21, 2012

Welcome to all of you ladies coming over from Ellison Lane Quilts!!  I love summer and I love sewing so I was really excited when Jennifer asked me to be a part of her summer sewing contest!  And...I had a perfect little project to help inspire everyone.  :)

I was asked by the lovely ladies of Clover and Violet if I wanted to try out one of their super cute bag patterns.  It took me all of 2 seconds to email back with an enthusiastic "yes"!!!  They are a mother and daughter design team and have some really cute bag patterns in their shop.   I chose the Sophia beach bag knowing that it would make the perfect Mother's Day gift for my mom (since she and my dad recently moved to Hawaii!).


For the picture below, I loaded two large beach towels in my bag along with the girl's beach coverups.  Two towels!!!  And look how much room there is left!!  You could easily fit everything you would need for a day at the beach for a family of 4 and even more if you planned well.

I used a charm pack of Vintage Modern, osnaburg, and some Ruby yardage (only because the Vintage Modern yardage wasn't out yet).


The pattern uses HST's (half square triangles) and arranges them in a pinwheel pattern which is so cute!  I wanted to show how versatile HST's and this pattern are though, so I just rearranged them to form the chevron.  I then quilted following the chevron pattern.  I really love how it turned out and my mom was thrilled with it!!!

The pattern was thorough and well written.  It had lots of pictures and clear directions.  It is not a last minute gift type of pattern since the piecing takes some time but it really is a beautiful bag!

Please hop over to Clover and Violet and check out their really cute pattern shop!  Be sure to leave Jennie and Clara a note to say hi!  :)

And make sure to keep checking out all of the fun going on at these fantastic blogs:


Grab a button and spread the word! Then get sewing!


Summer Sewing Contest at ELQ


Here's the low-down:
1. Sew something fun for summer in one of these 4 categories:
  • Quilts
  • Home Decor
  • Clothing
  • Bags & Accessories
You may enter one item in each category.

2. Link up your entry at Ellison Lane Quilts:  June 10-17

3. Finalists are chosen in each category: June 18

4. Voting Begins: June 18- June 23

5. Winners announced: June 26

The Prizes: 
The winner of each category will receive a $100 gift certificate to the Fat Quarter Shop. 

A randomly chosen winner in each category will win a Fat Quarter Bundle of fabric from Westminster Fibers / Free Spirit Fabric

A wild card winner will be chosen by Jennifer's husband and will receive a $25 gift certificate to The Intrepid Thread




12 comments:

  1. your bag is fantastic and I'm always excited to find another bag pattern company. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your bag! Great job and I really love the how you arranged the HST's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant summer bag!!! :-)
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable and what a great size! I love the zig zag. Thanks so much for being part of the blog hop Amy! You have such great style. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the bag Amy!! I need to get some Vintage Modern!! Happy Monday!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. That bag is awesome! I love the chevrons. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I love it! I'm such a sucker for ginormous bags! I'm sure this beauty will get a lot of use this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what a lovely bag! I'm just about to join sew along with zig zag quilt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful bag and what a great contest! I hope I have time to join in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mind of the arsenal of things that you will have to carry in a bag, do not buy the one that weighs a lot by itself. Try to find the perfect combination of dense and light bag.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! They make my day! Please make sure to leave me your email in your comment if it is not attached to your blogger profile, that way I can reply! Thanks so much :)

lots of pink here! All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger