the Pippa cuff tutorial

January 20, 2012




My daughter, Penelope (or Pippa), is 4 and loves to wear my costume jewelry.  I don't mind letting her wear it around the house but it's just too big for her to wear out or to school, as she would like to do!  :)  So, I made her these little reversible fabric cuff bracelets.  I made some for Adelaide too but she can't be bothered to wear them.  :)

I took some pics and noted the measurements because I thought you guys like to make some as well!  They are super fast and easy and a great way to use up scraps.  They would make great goodie bag items for a birthday party or a quick gift.  

As you can see form the photo, I made myself one as well.  The measurements for the adult cuff are at the end of the tutorial.

***Penelope's wrist measures 4 1/2".  She is 4 years old and is fairly average in size but, if possible, measure your child's wrist to make sure that the cuff will fit.  I used the same size for my 3 year old who is a peanut!!***

Materials Needed:
  • coordinating fabric scraps (2) that are at least 6 1/2" long and 1 3/4" wide (8" long and 2 1/2" wide for the adult cuff)
  • cotton batting (same measurements as above)
  • thread
  • pearl snaps (I got mine at Joann) and a setting tool (or a thread spool and a hammer, this is what I use)
  • iron
  • sewing machine
  • pins
  • chopstick or turning tool
  • water soluble marker or fabric chalk
Cut both pieces of your fabric and batting to 6 1/2" x 1 3/4".  I made a patchwork piece and then cut it down.  You will then have this:


Now you need to stack up your pieces as follows:  batting, then one fabric piece with the right side up, and finally the other fabric piece with the wrong side up.  So, your batting will be on the bottom and then the two fabric pieces on top of the batting with the right sides together.

Pin all around the sides.


Now sew all around the rectangle using a 1/4" seam allowance.  Make sure you stop with your needle down at the corners so that you can pivot to the next side.  You need to leave an opening on one of the long sides that is about 1 1/2" - 2" so that you can turn your cuff.  


Now clip your corners and trim the excess batting from the seam allowance.  Make sure you don't clip it too short where your opening is.


Now turn your cuff right side out and use a chopstick or turning tool to carefully poke out your corners.  Carefully turn under the edges of the opening.  Press well!


Topstitch all around the edge of the cuff about 1/8" from the edge.  Draw a line down the middle of the cuff to use as a guide for your quilting lines (or quilt as desired).


I added two more lines of quilting so that it was quilted pretty densely but you can quilt it any way you like.  This would be a really fun way to use some of the fancy stitches on your machine or to do some beautiful hand quilting!

Get the 4 pieces of your snap ready because that is the last step!  :)


Apply the snaps close to the end of your cuff according to the directions on the package.  Make sure to apply them in the right direction so that the cuff goes around your kiddo's wrist.  ***We all do crazy stuff like putting them on the wrong way occasionally so this is just a reminder! ;)***


Now your little one will have a fun cuff to wear out!!


Want to make one for a teenager or for yourself???  Ok!  Here is what I did for mine:

I measured my wrist (mine is 6") and I added 2" for ease and seam allowance.  So, I cut my pieces to measure 8" x 2 1/2".  I also used 2 snaps because the cuff is so much wider and I didn't want it twisting around on my wrist.  Other than those modifications, the assembly is exactly the same as above!

I hope you guys make some fun cuffs and enjoy wearing them!  Please do not hesitate to email me if you have any questions.   I would LOVE to see them if you do and you can always add all of your creations made from my tutes to the lots of pink here flickr group!  :)

***I am thrilled for you to make as many cuffs as you would like for yourself or friends and, of course, for charity but please do not sell cuffs made using my tutorial.  Thank you for understanding!!!***

Have a great weekend!   xoxoxo



27 comments:

  1. No little girls in this house, but super cute none the less!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a pretty way to use up some scraps, and I love your idea to use them in goody bags! I think I'll get my big girls to make their own, and then some for their sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. too cute! I really like that first photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cute. Thanks for the tutorial Amy! I bet my little girl and I would both like these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea Amy! I love the idea of making cuffs. I'll have to try that soon. Love the scraps too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a super cute idea!!! My jewelry loving 3 year old will just love this!!
    Allison
    www.etsy.com/shop/RainaSunshine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable!! Great way to keep my little girl away from my jewellery box!

    ReplyDelete
  8. those are so cute...I made some similar ones for my daughter's birthday party as favors....the girls loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are adorable! What a great idea, I think I'll need to make a few for my treasure chest at school. The girls will love them! Thank for the tutorial Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I passed on the Versatile Blogger Award to you! You can read about it here: http://sewingourlifetogether.blogspot.com/2012/01/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hiiiii, I like your blog.

    This is perfect! I'm follow you.


    Kiss

    www.samicosturinhas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your how to! Really cute x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Amy, I love these!!! They are just so adorable, what a great way to use up some scraps and make something cute for the girlies at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tutorial! You've been featured on the Quality Sewing Tutorials blog.

    We hand select only the best free tutorials and patterns for the home sewist.

    Grab a brag button!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this! Can't wait to make some!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable and so easy to make. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute. I will have a granddaughter here in a few weeks that wants to learn to sew. This is a good idea. She may want to embellish with buttons or hot fix crystals or maybe a small embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look great! I made something similar for my daughter but cut the edges with pinking shears and used a button and button hole for the closure, but I like the snap idea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Amy! I bought my snaps from when I posted before, but I'm struggling to get them to line up correctly when trying to hammer them in place. Do I need a special tool? Or do you have other suggestions? Thanks! I love these and the pearl snaps add so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Made some of these for my kids last night, for my son as well as my daughter. They are so cute! Used kam snaps and we just spent some time, before breakfast, selecting colours together to finish them off. They are now wearing them with their pjs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. For those of you with boys (or just super hero loving girls, like me), I just made 2 with super hero fabric, and now my 2 year old is running around the house shooting "webs" everywhere :) Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thought you'd like to know that I've made a dozen purple cuffs for the purple stitch project using your tutorial! Thanks so much for the inspiration.
    I tried out some of my machine's fancy stitches to decorate them and added some hand french knots and buttons - purple of course.

    ReplyDelete
  23. PS Sorry, I'm not sure where to put my email address....
    I'm going to give you credit when I send in the bracelets.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i know this is stupid but i a new to sewing and i dont understand how to put the buttons on a cant afford the machine and you show me a could of pic of you doing that ?
    Thank You so much

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this Thank You!!!!!!!!! I'm new to sewing and having a blast Loving it.This looks like fun!
    http://openbeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! They make my day! Please make sure to leave me your email in your comment if it is not attached to your blogger profile, that way I can reply! Thanks so much :)

lots of pink here! All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger