late Christmas gifts

January 9, 2012

Better late than never, right?  I made a couple of my best bloggy buddies some goodies!  I had the hardest time deciding what to make them.  Once I had made up my mind though I was really excited.

I made them both a little set, a pincushion organizer and a set of pattern weights.





I have one of these pincushions right next to my machine and it's fantastic!  I keep a fabric marking pen, a pencil, a seam ripper and a small pair of scissors in the pockets.  I also love that you can take the thread catcher off and sit it on your cutting table or closer to your machine if you need to.

Pattern weights are something that I really find so useful!  I cut EVERYTHING with my rotary cutter and the weights make it so easy to just whip around my pattern piece with less chance of everything shifting.

I use 2 sizes of weights.  Larger ones for the center of the pattern and larger pattern pieces and then I have some small ones for pattern pieces that have thinner parts (like the tabs on my bib pattern).

They are really simple to make, just 2 squares sewn right sides together.  I leave a small opening and fill them full of rice and then slip stitch the opening closed.  You can also use them for hand warmers in the winter if you decide that you don't like using pattern weights!  :)

Here are the measurements that I used to make the pattern weights:
(use a 1/4" seam allowance)

Large pattern weights:  cut your squares (2) at 3 1/2" so that you end up with finished weights that measure 3" square

Small pattern weights:  cut your squares (2) at 2" so that your finished weights will be 1 1/2" square





28 comments:

  1. Amy I NEED one of those thread catchers! I've been wanting one for so long! I'll pay you! Name your price!! Love the fabrics you used, as always. And those pattern weights are fabulous! Lucky friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack! You beat me. . . been wanting to blog about my fab gift but haven't gotten around to it :( You did a awesome job, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are lucky friends. You have great taste in fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy I love those pincushions with the pockets, what a fantastic idea - definately making one of those. I'm constantly shouting from my sewing room 'where's my stitch ripper!' haha x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy both pincushion organizers are gorgeous! You always pair fabrics perfectly. I love the pattern weight too. They sound like a great idea. :) Thank you for the instructions and the links!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got one of those pincushion organisers in a swap and I love it, it travels everywhere with me! In fact I really need to make me some more - you will soon have bestest bestest bloggy buddies! Love the look of the pattern weights too :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice fabric choices - lucky, lucky friends!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are just gorgeous and I absolutely love your choice of fabrics. soooooo nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, they are lovely and it's true ~ better late than never ~ thanks for posting where you got the pattern too, I've been looking around for it for a while and couldn't remember where I'd seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are both adorable gifts! What lucky blog friends you have. Thanks for all the inspiration and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to make myself one of those thread catchers too! love that idea! and your pattern weights?!! Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute Amy I have seen that pattern and downloaded it but i have yet to make me one i think i am and i am gonna try to make me some of the pattern weights too! love yours! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the ideas mention in this article for Christmas. These gifts are very useful and also treated as a best gift for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What do you put inside the pattern weights? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love these!!! you have been so busy and I'm jealous!heeheee

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, can we be buds? Love those! What incredibly thoughtful gifts and SO beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. your organisers are absolutely gorgeous! Your friends are very lucky! I love your choices of fabrics x

    ReplyDelete
  18. nice post. Now you can use this indian b2b directory to promote christmas gifts import & export business.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made that same pincushion organizer a while ago, I love it! Love the fabrics you used. What great gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to assert that I get actually enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently fast.
    STX Lacrosse Proton Power Unstrung Head

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gifts are the wonderful thing that achieve every thing like feeling, hearts etc.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We provide a unique range of stylish gift ideas for every occasion. Whether it’s for a loved one’s wedding, birthday, anniversary or even If it’s a gift for the most important person in your life. We are sure that here you will find many trends for Luxury Gifts for Men that will suite your budget.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We welcome a part exchange of your Rolex watch against one of our watches, whether it be new, pre-owned or vintage. We offer top prices for all pre-owned Sell my rolex!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice blog And also helpful for more suggestion see these also:-
    Exporters India
    Agriculture products

    ReplyDelete
  25. These ideas are really unique. I was actually looking for something like this.

    Send gifts to Pakistan from USA

    ReplyDelete
  26. Every Young ladies , Womens & Girl are Found of Shopping .
    For an Auspicious Occassions Like Festival , Wedding Ceremonies Engagements Ceremony So,
    Here We Have Some For You In Your Budget For More....

    for more visit our website indain.supply

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! They make my day! Please make sure to leave me your email in your comment if it is not attached to your blogger profile, that way I can reply! Thanks so much :)

lots of pink here! All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger