Christmas sewing

December 22, 2011

I didn't get as much Christmas sewing done as I was planning.  I did get something made for the little girls though!

My girls LOVE dolls!  They play with them every day, sleep with them, dress them, wrap them up, you get the idea!  I had made Pippa a couple of dolls but I hadn't made one for Adelaide.  She is so attached to this doll that I had kinda figured she would reject any other one that was offered.  Well, about a month ago she said she really wanted a doll like Penelope's.

I thought a smaller doll would be better, more portable and less likely to drag on the ground and get filthy when being toted around.  This pattern proved to be the perfect size!!!  Of course, the dollies needed little quilts of their own!

Adelaide's, of course, since yellow is her favorite color.



For Adelaide's little set I used all of the mustardy yellow prints that I could find in my stash.  The little frog print in the center is from a Heather Ross print that I made her 1st birthday dress out of and I was so glad that I had a little left.  There are a few squares from Heather's latest line too.  I backed it in this simple print from ruby that matched the pale blues in some of the squares.

Penelope's



Turns out that a charm square is the perfect size for the little doll's body!  For Penelope's doll and blanket I used one of the Walk in the Woods charm packs.  I used sundae in ruby for the binding as it goes really well with the colors and style of the charms.  I backed it in one of my favorite Heather Bailey prints. 

I have said it before, dolls are not my favorite things to sew.  This pattern however, was lovely!  It came together really easily and was a quick sew.   It would make a great first doll!!!  I have a feeling that I will be making a few more of them.

The little quilts were so easy too.  I cut out 25 - 3 1/2" squares and just sewed them into 5 rows of 5 and then sewed the rows together.  SO easy!!  Make sure to use your 1/4" foot if you have one.  I cut my binding at 2 1/4".  I like a rather narrow binding and I like it to fit snuggly to the edge of my quilt.







18 comments:

  1. super cute! I made my girl a rag doll for christmas as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so sweet! I'd really like to try making these dolls...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to try one of those dolls! so cute! and I love the little quilts, you are always so inspiring to me!!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable:) bookmarked to sew for my granddaughters birthday! Thank you and Merry Christmas:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet!! There will be two very happy girls on Christmas morning, I'm sure! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too cute Amy! Makes me wanna have a little girl! Love the cute little dolls and I adore the fabrics you used!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute, I'm sure there will be many squeals of glee on Christmas morning :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! I hope you are enjoying this season with your family! HUGS my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are the sweetest little dollies and I LOVE their quilts! My daughter would go nuts for one of these I think. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable little dolls with their colour co-ordinated quilts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much cuteness - two times the cuteness!! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Amy! XXOO!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am in love with those little quilts. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. AAww they're adorable! I'll bet the girls loved them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! These are wonderful. I'm so glad that I found your blog. I look forward to seeing what other fantastic things you will be posting in the future. -Jessica
    www.sewingourlifetogether.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are both adorable Amy! That's so funny, I have that same Ruby print ready to go to bind my Walk in the Woods quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I sew have to make these girls one day! you did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! They make my day! Please make sure to leave me your email in your comment if it is not attached to your blogger profile, that way I can reply! Thanks so much :)

lots of pink here! All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger