Christmas gifts for the teachers

December 20, 2011

My girls go to the most wonderful preschool!!  It's small and caring and just wonderful!  There are 18 kids and 4 full time teachers.  There is also a teacher that comes once a week to help out and a music teacher that comes once a week.  All of the teachers are fabulous!  They are loving and kind and really care about each and every one of the kids and their families.  They are also the kind of women that really appreciate a homemade gift.  Can you tee that we love it there?  :)

I never want to make them something for their homes since I don't know what styles they all lean toward or what color schemes they have there.  I try to keep it pretty simple and fun.  Something they can use every day in their normal lives is always what I'm going for.

This year I made each a mug rug with a matching coffee sleeve.

fabric: ruby by Bonnie and Camille

fabric: Denise Schmidt for Joann fabrics

fabric: happy mochi yum yum by Happy Zombie

fabric: scraps of MM ta dots, Ab full moon dots and sunspots  and an AMH scrap

fabric: happy mochi yum yum by Happy Zombie

fabric: Denise Schmidt for Joann fabrics
For each set, I used natural colored linen paired with the quilting cottons I had chosen.  I had a lot of fun making all of them and I think the teachers were happy with them.

 Just a note about sewing with linen, PREWASH IT!  I do not generally prewash my fabric if it is for a quilting type project as I really like the crinkly look that you get when you wash your quilt for the first time.  However, linen is another thing all together!  It will shrink quite a bit more than cotton.  I actually wash my linen in hot water which I never do normally.  Also, linen tend to shift around like crazy.  Spray starch is really your friend when it comes to sewing with linen.  Spray that stuff down with starch and iron like a mad woman!!!

 I found the insulated cups at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $4 and Vanessa said that she found some at Joann fabrics as well.

Hope you are all getting your last minute sewing gifts finished!!  :)





13 comments:

  1. Really Really pretty Amy. Love your fabrics combo choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! Love the one with the bunting on it. I've actually got to go try to find another cup and find some goodies to put in them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, your mug rugs and coffee cup sleeves look wonderful. What a great idea for presents. I'm sure your daughters' teachers will love them. Thanks for the advice on working with linen. I used it just a few times and the way it shifts almost drove me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely idea! I particularly like the one with the bunting :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are fabulous gifts! Are there any places online where a Canadian can purchase some of that Denyse Schmidt fabric? Specifically the blue dots used for the binding on that last mug rug?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, look at all these - you are awesome! They're all amazing and your girls' teachers are so lucky to have you as a mama in their class!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these gift sets. Fabric combos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely gift ideas! I have never heard of mug "rugs" before, but these are very sweet with the peppy fabrics you chose. thanks for the linen tips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful idea and so nice ... love your choice of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are so beautiful! What else can I say? I really love them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They're gorgeous, Amy - the bunting is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are all gorgeous! I'm sure the teachers will love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow these are awesome sets Amy!! They are all beautiful! This is such a great idea!! What lucky teachers. :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! They make my day! Please make sure to leave me your email in your comment if it is not attached to your blogger profile, that way I can reply! Thanks so much :)

lots of pink here! All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger