more sewing kits and some fun resources

September 6, 2011

When I get an idea or a project in my head, it often times becomes somewhat of an obsession.  I know I am not the only one this happens to since I read similar stories on lots of sewing blogs.  This has been one of those projects!!

I have had so much fun making these sewing kits and I still have a few more to make before I can really move on.

I was so excited when the happy mochi yum yum fabric showed up on my doorstep!!  It is so fun!  The colors are vibrant and the designs are so great!  I swear, Monica can't make anything ugly!!  Everything she designs or sews is dreamy!  I knew a sewing kit from her fabric would be yummy!  Har de har har, I know. :)



I used fabrics from this bundle for this kit but there are lots of other colors to choose from too!  The orange colorway is amazing!  A patchwork of all of the prints would be fun too.

Speaking of patchwork, that is what I did with the last one I made.



I used Annie's farm stand fabrics that I got from Kerri.  I made the exterior by patchworking all of the prints together.  I wanted to continue the patchy look on the inside, so I used different fabrics for each pocket.

That space to the right of the needle book had been bothering me.  Not that space is a bad thing but I kept thinking that it would be fun to put something purely decorative there.  Some hand sewing for a hand sewing kit seemed appropriate!


I found this adorable collection of strawberry embroidery patterns on etsy.   I used the pattern to make appliques for the strawberry part and then stitched the flower.  I attached the little patch with steam a seam lite before adding the aqua running stitch around the edge.

I've always loved hand embroidery, there is something so slow and homey about it.  I am so glad that it is getting more popular again.

I have found some really great etsy shops lately that have the most adorable hand embroidery patterns.  I thought some of you might enjoy them too.


I know there are so many more!!  If you have any that you love or want to share please link to them in your comment!!!

I don't want you to think that these sewing kits are just for those of us that like hand embroidery though!  If you like to sew bags you often have to hand stitch an opening closed.  If you quilt, you have to stitch on those bindings!  I think it would also make a great gift for a youngster that wants to try sewing or as a repair sewing kit for someone off to college or getting their first apartment.

I hope this has helped and that it inspires some of you to stitch a little!  :)




18 comments:

  1. These are awesome, especially with the embroidery. You do that so well. I'll check out the shops. I have one more hat and a pair of socks to knit and I'll be sewing again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little embroidered white flower is fantastic! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are so fun!!! thanks for sharing the tutorial (it's now on my list!) and the links.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are the sweetest little things - and the fabrics are divine. I'm in love with that strawberry patch - what a wonderful way to adapt the pattern. I must go look around at your other goodies as well. So Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I've just bookmarked your sewing kit tutorial and then I saw these versions, love that strawberry

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used you tutorial yesterday and it was great. Good job. I still need to get beter at binding but practise makes perfect. Thanks Cindy cindy3935 at sbcglobal dot net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog, so darling. I am addicted to strawberries. Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So adorable! I love the strawberry patch, and I am also quite delighted that slower crafts like needlepoint are coming back around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The amy's farm stand kit is the cutest! I love that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Amy... It is so nice to be here with you and so much thanks to Pinterest... Love your little and practical lovely creations... they are so damn cute ... I am going to stitched one of your patchwork sewing kit soon... its really lovely... Thanks for sharing the creation you made... I am going to be your new follower too...
    Visit me if you can
    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
    Love
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh this is gorgeous!! I love annies farm fabrics ^_^ you did a fabulous job

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amy, I'm talking from Brazil and I've have a community about "crafts" on facebook! Today I put your blog there, it was amazing your things, if you had facebook connect me,ok? ( The community name's : "eu amo fazer artesanato")

    Bye!!!

    Bruna Abecia

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG, Amy - I'm blushing and gushing! Mind you, I'm doing that while fondling my yummy gift from you!!! XXXOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How adorable!!! I've been meaning to make one but didn't know where to start. I'm a follower. Thanks Amy!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is beautiful.!!!!congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is beautiful.!!!!congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is beautiful.!!!!congratulations.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! They make my day! Please make sure to leave me your email in your comment if it is not attached to your blogger profile, that way I can reply! Thanks so much :)

lots of pink here! All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger