a sewing kit for mom

August 30, 2011

I have a fabulous mom!!  She is the kind of person that makes friends everywhere she goes.  She has never left a party or gotten off a plane without at least a few business cards or phone numbers of people that want to get to know her.  She just sparkles and makes any place a better place to be!

We live far apart now and I miss her so much every day.  We talk on the phone at least twice a day but it just isn't the same as being able to hug her or laugh together in person.  She will always be my best friend!

I love to make things for her!  Yes, she can sew, but it's still fun to surprise her with a little something every once in a while!  :)


Mom enjoys doing sashiko embroidery.  She always has a little project going and I thought this would be a great little set for her.



 I modeled the sewing kit after an unbelievable one that Tamiko made for hexagons.  I loved it the minute I saw it and I have to admit that I was a little bummed when she said she wouldn't be doing a tutorial for it.  So, I made my own version that was more tailored for general sewing or embroidery.


It has a pocket to hold your project and a strap that can keep two spools of thread attached and handy.


The center panel has a needle book and a pocket that holds a small pair of embroidery scissors.


 Then there are two additional pockets to hold floss or other necessities.



I also made her a little project bag using Ayumi's awesome tutorial!  I love these little patchwork bags, they are so fun to make and a really great size!

As for the travel sewing kit, I have chatted with Tamiko and she has given me the go ahead to write up a tutorial so that all of you can make one of your very own!  Woo hoo!!!  I will be working on it this week and hope to have the tutorial posted sometime next week!!!

They would make great Christmas gifts!!  Yep, it's time to think about those things!!  :)





23 comments:

  1. such an awesome little set! really cheerful. love it and can't wait to see your tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, you have done a great job with this, what a lucky Mom you have! This will the be perfect Christmas gift for my sister who does beautiful applique for all her friends' babies. I can't wait for the tutorial as I'm determined that this year I will not be still sewing gifts at midnight on Christmas eve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty fabric combination! Do you use an accuquilt cutter or cut by hand?

    What fabric line is this?

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a thoughtful gift! i think sewers appreciate sewn gifts even MORE, since we know what love/work goes into each project. happy embroidering to your mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely! Looking forward to your tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautifully done amy! I love your fabrics and the kit is so pretty. Looking forward to the tutorial. Your mom is lucky to have you too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awsome!!! Your mother is going to love it. You picked great colors, so cheerful!!!
    Can't wait for the tutorial! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this would be a perfect stocking stuffer for my mum, looking forward to seeing the tutorial :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is incredible! what a sweet gift for your mom. i loved your description of her. looking forward to a tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  10. eek! So excited for the tutorial. Must. Make. Immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! I have been looking for a pattern for a travel sewing kit for my mom-in-law... she uses a zip-lock baggie :) So glad I stumbled onto your blog from whipup's link love for your star pincushion (which I also must make) Thanks! btw, I pinned your pincushion on pinterest :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mom sounds like such a lovely person like you! She will definitely LOVE these! I saw Tamiko's needle case in person (she took the pic in my apartment :D) and it was really adorable! Yours is just as perfect as hers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So great! Can't wait for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such an awesome present! I wish I knew someone who could use both pieces. I"m really glad that you ran with it and made one - and that are making a tutorial because I get a lot of emails about a tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is just the cutest ever and your mom will love it!! Anyone that does hand sewing, this would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing work on your corners...so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is GORGEOUS, love it so much! Great job Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sew freaking adorable! And all the more adorable because it's for your amazing mom.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE it! Great fabric (is that Denyse Schmidt?) and so glad you are going to do a tutorial for it. I made a needle book the other day but like yours with the place to hold thread. Tamiko's is great too- wonder how I missed it?
    I am sure your mom will love it Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful! Can't wait for your tutorial. I want to make one for a friend and for my Mother!
    Thanks
    Lkjones@sio.midco.net

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looking forward to tutorial. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! They make my day! Please make sure to leave me your email in your comment if it is not attached to your blogger profile, that way I can reply! Thanks so much :)

lots of pink here! All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger