baby gift

July 15, 2011


A really great friend from college is expecting her first baby, a little girl.  So, naturally, she needed a bubbie (what my girls call their lovie, blakie, whatever you want to call it)!  She had told me that they were painting the room a soft grey and decorating with bright pops of color.

I've been loving all of the chevron that has been popping up everywhere lately!  I thought this would be a great project for some chevron of my own!  :)


Mind you, this is not a quilt, it's tiny!!  Something for her to carry around for comfort.  :)  The entire thing measures approximately 11" x 9".  I backed it in pale pink chenille so that it would be super soft and snuggly.


I made 42 HST (half square triangles) that measured 1 1/2" finished.  I used kona ash for the grey and various scraps for the colored zig zags.  I was so glad to be able to fit that little girl's face in there from sherbet pips, I just love her!  I quilted it about 1/16" away from each seam in off white thread.  I figured she can use it as a mini quilt to hang on the wall until the baby is big enough or if she isn't a blankie kid.  My friend got it yesterday and loved it!  I'm so glad!! :)



I wanted to mention to anyone that may want to make something similar, or really anything that is a little thicker but still needs to be bound, is that it really makes it easier if you serge or zig zag the edges before you sew on the binding.  I also do this with potholders since they require a layer of batting as well as a layer of insulbrite.  It really makes it easier to hand sew the binding onto the back as it reduces the bulk at the edge.

I also cut my binding at 2 1/4" instead of 2 1/2" for small items (anything smaller than a baby/lap quilt), so the added step of zig zagging the edge is extra helpful since besides the added bulk of the chenille, I am also using smaller binding.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!!!




8 comments:

  1. Amy, this is so totally adorable and what a great idea for something small to hold and drag around as a toddler. This will be loved for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, this is soooooooo cute!!!

    I love the look of zig zag/rick rack! Me and My Sister Designs used to use zig zag in some of their fabric collections.

    Another nice thing about serging the edges is that if you don't get around to doing the binding for several months (like me), you don't have to worry about the edges fraying! :)

    This is sew beautiful! Where did you find soft chenille?

    Lisa

    http://LisasStitchingPost.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your friend liked it. I came out really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very cute! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! We (baby Wilhelmina & I) love it. She is going to treasure this forever. You are the best. Love the chevron too. Can't wait til she is here and gets to enjoy it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so cute amy! I am really liking your sewing advice too- it is so helpful to learn your tips :) I will use that zig zag stitch for sure on those small projects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A new born baby is a heavenly gift given to the parents by the god. A baby comes in this world along with heavenly delight and joy for his or her parents, relatives and neighbors. Celebration of the event of the birth of a baby is usually done by gifting the baby and parents. But it is really tough to find a gift that will be perfectly suitable for the baby.Baby Gifts are always useful in these situations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's nice to find a site you can trust. I like the privacy of shopping online, but you never know what sites are okay. Visit Mymiraclebaby.com this site was recommended by a friend so I tried it. They provide a Personalized baby Gifts, Personalized Gifts, Baby Gifts at affordable price.Their service was great! I'm becoming a frequent shopper!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! They make my day! Please make sure to leave me your email in your comment if it is not attached to your blogger profile, that way I can reply! Thanks so much :)

lots of pink here! All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger