Easter bags

April 25, 2011



I have been wanting to make my little girls some sort of bag to take on outings and in the car.  Something they can hold and carry around with toys and activities inside to keep them busy.  I had planned on just a simple drawstring bag (or maybe a great patchwork one) but the more I thought about it, that type of bag would be harder for them to carry into a restaurant or office or wherever we may go.  Then I remembered this bag!!!

I love Ayumi's blog!  She has tons of adorable tutorials and a really great sense of style.  I had seen the tutorial for the bento style lunch bag when she first posted it and loved it but just didn't need anything like it at the time.  Then Anna made one and I remembered how much I had loved it!  I filed the idea away again until this past Friday.  I figured that not only would it be a perfect solution for my car/outing bag needs but it would also make an adorable Easter basket!!

It is the perfect size for them!  The handles aren't too long and it holds a surprising amount of trinkets!!!


Adelaide is obsessed with the color yellow (because her hair is yellow), so this one is hers.


This one is Penelope's!  :)


It has this awesome drawstring closure which will really come in handy to keep the contents where they belong, even if the bag gets dropped or tipped.

The fabric is from Heather Ross' Far Far Away 2 collection.  I adore it!!!  I bought it when it came out over a year ago and had not been able to bring myself to cut into it.  I have to admit, even thought I think this was the perfect use for this beautiful fabric, that I was actually a little sick cutting into it!!

Ayumi recommends using interfacing if you are going to use a quilting weight cotton.  I did not interface because this fabric is a heavier weight cotton and linen blend.  I used osnaburg for the drawstring part and the lining and it matches perfectly with the base cloth for the prints.

I hope all of you had a fantastic holiday with your families and that the Easter bunny brought you lots of sweets!  :)



10 comments:

  1. Those are so cute Amy. I am sure your girls loved those. I love that fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love these!!!!! I have to make another one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww I love your lunch bags a lot more than ones I've made. I had never thought about using this bag for Easter but it is a great idea! Too late now. I'll whip up a bag for my niece next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I love the drawstring on the inner bag. I may need to make these for Christmas, Easter, etc... I gift in reusable bags all of the time. These are awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just darling! Thanks for sharing! I looked and looked for new easter baskets for my kids this year and never once considered just making bags for them! Guess what they'll have by next year? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How could I have missed your birthday!! I'm a horrible friend, I'm sorry! I blame it on my iPad. I can't scroll down on my blog reader list! No excuses!! Happy Belated Birthday!!! Btw have you received your new iPad yet?? Loooove these Easter bags!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ditto! How did I miss your Birthday? Happy Belated Birthday sweet bloggy friend :-) I hope your day was perfect!
    Hugs to you,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are too cute amy! and great use of that fabric, my girls would absolutely love something like this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog, is beautiful !!!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! They make my day! Please make sure to leave me your email in your comment if it is not attached to your blogger profile, that way I can reply! Thanks so much :)

lots of pink here! All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger