1/4" foot

April 19, 2011

I am in the process of making quite a few of Keyka Lou's easy reusable grocery bags for myself.  I have the ugly ones from the grocery store and they work but pretty ones would be so much nicer!!  :)


The handles are a great shape and have 6 rows of topstitching.  The topstitching serves two purposes on a bag like this, to reinforce the strength of the handle (when both carrying the bag and washing it) and to be attractive.  Herein lies the problem!  :)  Unless you are a super precise sewer and pretty experienced in topstitching, this can look sloppy and uneven.  So cheat!!!

If you are not a quilter, which I am not, you may not know about this awesome sewing machine foot!!  The 1/4" foot is mostly used in quilting to ensure accurate piecing.  I use mine, not only for piecing, but often times to ensure accurate topstitching as well!

Here is a solid colored handle that I am going to use on one of my bags.  It is much easier to see the stitching lines on this handle.


I use my 1/4" foot to sew the line of topstitching closest to the edge of the handle as you normally would.  Then, I use the guide on the foot to keep the next line of stitches evenly spaced from the first.  Just line up the guide with the first row of stitches!!


I use this technique any time I need really accurate, evenly spaces rows of stitches.  You can move the needle over on your sewing machine to adjust the spacing between the rows of stitches as well.  :)  Pretty neat, huh???  Here is another example of how I use this method.


This is the exterior piece on a crayon art folio.  I sew a line of stitches on either side of the seam that joins the 3 pieces that make up the exterior.  I just simply run the guide along the seam line.  Here is a picture of the finished art folio so that you can see what I mean.




I hope you all enjoy this little tip!!






7 comments:

  1. super cute bag, i think I am going to have to make a purchase of this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great advice. this is something I need to work on for sure. I really like it when you give sewing tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'll have to try this! i usually just use the edge of my regular foot but this looks easier. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just purchased three of her patterns this morning! I'm super excited!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Obrigada por suas ideias maravilhosas......parabens

    Andrelisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do have the best ideas and patterns! Thank you!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great bags! I love that you are making your own, so much better than the boring ones in the grocery store!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! They make my day! Please make sure to leave me your email in your comment if it is not attached to your blogger profile, that way I can reply! Thanks so much :)

lots of pink here! All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger