new bag

March 24, 2011

I really needed a new bag!  I have been carrying a slouchy hobo bag that was my prototype for when I switched up the pattern a little.  I liked it but it was, as I said, the prototype which meant that I had gotten all the kinks out on that bag so it wasn't my best work!  :)  It was also dirty and I just needed a change!  Something bright and fun, of course, and something that can take me through spring and hopefully summer too.  So... I made this!
I LOVE it!!!  I have been hoarding this Amy Butler print for at least a year.  It's one of those large scale prints that you have to have a larger project for.  I lined it with full moon dots in lime.  It is a large bag but that works for me since I still have to carry diapers and toys and whatnot around with me.  The patten is the practical bag by Tanya and Linda Whelan.

I interfaced it with some duck cloth to make it a little more sturdy and give it a little more body.  I like to do that with the hobo bags and other large bags sometimes as it just makes them a little more substantial.  I just baste it onto the exterior inside the seam allowance and then construct the bag as per the directions.

Of course, now that I made my new springy bag it's snowing here today!  :)

Here is a picture of the inside.









14 comments:

  1. Love it Amy!! You never disappoint! I have a serious bag fetish. I got my fix for today :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great bag! I've been admiring this pattern for a while and I might just need to cave and buy it. What a great spring bag! Here's hoping for spring weather for you . . . I wish it was warmer here too, but at least it's not snowing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fab! What is duck cloth, btw?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really nice and a nice size for a mom on the go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great bag! I've recently started sewing and have just done a couple of bags myself. I'm always looking for new ones to try. Hopefully you can check mine out on my blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you got so sew something fun for yourself! I think it will be the perfect everyday bag for you. Bigger is better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love love love. beautiful. that fabric rocks. I love big bags too. I don't like how mine fills up with receipts and kid's gum wrappers but it is worth it!
    great job Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Amy, that fabric is so pretty! It is very "springy" {sorry you have snow}. You motivate me to change out my black bag. Seems I'm always making them for others and not myself! I will definitely put me on the list ~ that is after I finish 4 pressing projects due this weekend!
    Keep on motivating :-)
    ~ Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy! I love your bag! I love the style and the fabric and everything! I am planning on making a bag pretty soon...It will be my first one ever! thanks for sharing! good job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable!! What is Duck Cloth? I would have just used the thick iron on interfacing.

    I love that fabric. Great choice! Sorry it snowed though!

    :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful bag and I love your fabric - really great work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this bag, do you sell the pattern or the bag ? Love your choice of fabric too

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't remember how I found your blog, but it's too cute. I'm loving it. I am also in need of a new bag. My son is now a toddler, so we've graduated from the diaper bag! Time for a mommy bag now:)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! They make my day! Please make sure to leave me your email in your comment if it is not attached to your blogger profile, that way I can reply! Thanks so much :)

lots of pink here! All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger